Timely Security Notice – Suspicious Person (UPDATE)
UPDATE: Identified and Criminally Charged (07/23/2012 5:23 p.m.)
IDENTIFIED: The suspect sought in the below incident was identified by VUPD and criminally charged.
It was reported to VUPD at 11:43 July 22, 2012 that a suspicious person, an unknown white male subject, was observed loitering in the area of Branscomb Quadrangle, which is being used a high school soccer camp. The suspect was believed to have been wearing a camp t-shirt over his t-shirt and had changed into khaki shorts while in Branscomb. When asked by a soccer camp staff member to identify himself, the subject threatened the staff member with a plastic knife and fled to his car parked behind the Baptist Student Union. When approached again by soccer camp staff members the suspect pulled an unknown item from his vehicle, possibly a weapon and pointed at the staff member then fled the area in the vehicle.
Subject is a white male approximately 28-35 years of age approximately 5’08″, bald, medium build 185 lbs . He was wearing a black t-shirt, blue jeans, subject may have changed clothes to a white soccer camp t-shirt and khaki shorts.
The suspect’s vehicle is believed to be a red Mitsubishi Eclipse with a black hood wired shut, witnesses reported the trunk was open with several items visible in the trunk.
VUPD#: 12-076077 MNPD#: 12-0608806
If you have information relating to this or a similar incident, please call the Vanderbilt University Police Department at (615) 322-2745. If you wish to remain anonymous, call Nashville Crime Stoppers at 74-CRIME (615-742-7463)
Risk Reduction Tips
- Scan the area before you exit or approach your vehicle/or building and while you proceed between sites.
- Avoid Isolated or dark areas.
- Travel with confidence and purpose.
- If strangers approach, maintain a distance and be observant; if they are in a vehicle, get the license plate number.
- Stay alert and TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS — If you feel uneasy, leave. Go to a safe location and notify VUPD.
- Avoid going to ATM’s alone, after dark, or if suspicious persons are nearby.
- Stay alert, and plan ahead for “What if…?”
Please Remember Our On-Campus Resources
- Psychological & Counseling Center – (615) 322-2571
- Employee Assistance Program – (615) 936-1327
- Student Health Services – (615) 322-2427
- Margaret Cunninggim Women’s Center – (615) 322-4843
- Project Safe – (615) 322-SAFE (7233)
** REPORT SUSPICIOUS PERSONS, VEHICLES, OR ACTIVITIES IMMEDIATELY! **
ON CAMPUS, DIAL 911 OR USE A BLUE LIGHT PHONE! FROM A CELL PHONE, CALL (615) 421-1911
In compliance with the U.S. Department of Higher Education and the Jeanne Clery Act, Security Notices are issued to provide Timely Warning information concerning a potentially dangerous criminal situation at or near Vanderbilt University to allow our students and employees to have both the time and the information necessary to make decisions or take appropriate actions concerning their own personal safety.