Home » Students » Crime Prevention Tips
Crime Prevention Tips
- Walk or jog in groups of three or more.
- Avoid isolated or dark areas.
- Travel with confidence and purpose.
- Do not wear earphones while walking or jogging.
- Know the locations of emergency phones.
- Do not use ATMs at night.
- Stay alert, and plan ahead for “What if…?”
Residential / Workplace Safety
- Know your neighbors or coworkers; you are the best one to determine who does not belong.
- Do not prop open exterior doors.
- If you come in through an electronic key card access door, do not allow strangers to enter with you on your code. They should have their own cards and codes.
- Always lock your door when you leave.
- Lock your door while you sleep or when you work late.
- Get involved. If you see someone you consider suspicious or out of place, CALL POLICE IMMEDIATELY.
Protecting Your Property
- Register your bicycle with the Vanderbilt University Police Department.
- Mark and record your belongings with the Vanderbilt University Police Department through Operation ID.
- Keep your car locked. Store items of value in the trunk.
- Coats, backpacks, and purses should remain with you or be locked up.