Theft of unsecured property is one of the most prevalent crimes on college campuses. Operation ID is a theft prevention program offered free of charge by the Vanderbilt University Police Department.
This programs involves keeping records of your personal properties’ serial number and a detailed description of the item, as well as applying a theft deterrent sticker to bicycles and laptops.
While thousands of bikes and laptops are recovered by the police each year, very few are returned. Why? Because owners cannot be located or legally reclaim their property because they do not know their serial number. By registering your bicycle or laptop, you increase your chances of it being returned if it is stolen because serial number information is readily available!
Your Bike and VU
- Policies concerning bikes on campus can be found in the student handbook.
- VUPD advises that you wear safety equipment.
- Bicycles must follow the same laws as automobiles when on roadways.
- Other motorists and pedestrians may not always be aware of bicyclists. Please ride defensively.
Making Your Bicycle 100% Theft Proof Is Impossible
There are some simple steps you can take to decrease the risk of your bicycle or bicycle parts being stolen:
- Lock your bike, securing the frame to the bike rack.
- When you lock your bike, secure as much as possible to the bike rack. At a minimum, the frame should be secured to the rack.
- Always secure your components and accessories, especially those which can be easily removed (quick release wheels or seats, etc.).
- Always secure your bike in an area that is well-lit, visible, and where there is plenty of pedestrian traffic.
- Use a case-hardened “U” Lock. Cable locks are easily cut.
Got a bike? Protect it with a U-Lock! U-locks, compared to chain or cable locks, are harder for thieves to break – reducing your risk for bike theft.
Don’t have a U-lock? Cumberland Transit and Vanderbilt University Police Department have partnered to help you protect your bike. Show your Vanderbilt Commodore Card at Cumberland Transit, and get 20% off your purchase of a U-lock.
Cumberland Transit is located at 2807 West End Avenue. Call (615) 321-4069 or visit www.cumberlandtransit.com.
U-Locks are also now available at the Vanderbilt Book Store. Call (615) 343-2665 or visit www.vubookstore.com.
Register Your Bike
Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org