Skip to main content


Records Unit personnel are responsible for receiving, processing,  filing/electronic filing, and maintaining all documents pertaining and  adhering to the Clery Act, crime log statistics for TIBRS and all policies and  standards in order to maintain our accreditation with the Commission for  Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA), the International  Association of Campus Law Enforcement Administrators (IACLEA) and the  Tennessee Law Enforcement Accreditation program (TLEA). The unit is  also responsible for processing and maintaining the integrity of evidence  and safekeeping of items and found property. Additionally, the VUPD crime log is updated daily and can be accessed  here .

Meet the Records Staff

Checking on Lost Property

If you have lost property at Vanderbilt you may contact the VUPD Records Department to see if the property has been turned in to VUPD.  You can either call VUPD Records at (615) 343-5371 or fill out this form.  

VUPD Lost Item Inquiry Form

 Obtaining a Copy of a VUPD Police Report

The Metro Nashville Police Department (MNPD) is the official repository for ALL police reports. For a small fee, you may obtain a copy of a police report from the MNPD Records Unit located at 811 Anderson Lane Madison, TN 37115. They can be reached by telephone at (615) 862-7631.  Copies of traffic accident reports may be obtained here.

To Claim Property

The Unit’s normal business hours are Monday through Friday, 7:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. (2800 Vanderbilt PL). In order to claim property, you must present a valid driver’s license and/or VU identification. If you are unable to contact the unit during business hours, please call (615) 343-5371 and leave a detailed message.

Note : Found items that are not accepted by the Records Unit include clothing items, perishable food, flammable items, small recreational items (soccer ball, baseball gloves, etc.), personal hygiene or grooming items, office supplies, umbrellas, intentionally abandoned property (inoperable electronic equipment, furniture, appliances, etc.) and unwanted prescription drugs legally possessed by owner.